Principal Backend Engineer
We're looking for a Principal Backend Engineer with experience scaling backend projects, shipping features, and a passion for product-driven organizations.
Chicago or Remote (USA/Canada), IL
Who we are
TruckMap is a cross-platform mapping app that helps tens of thousands of truck drivers get to where they're going every day. We're focused on making these drivers' jobs easier and safer and impacting how 7% of the U.S. economy moves around every year. We need you to help us create the new features that will continue to make TruckMap every truck driver's favorite app.
- You're a smart, thoughtful engineer who wants to work on a small, product-focused team. You understand data structures, can investigate incidents, and differentiate memory, I/O and CPU bottlenecks.
- You have experience designing, maintaining, and deploying large and growing distributed systems
- You are extremely curious and excited about finding out how many more requests we can handle without any downtime
- You hate manual processes and love to automate all the things to reduce toil
Preferred but not required
- Experience building and maintaining systems to monitor and improve availability and scalability
- Experience with container systems (Kubernetes, Docker, AWS ECS, etc)
- Great communication skills and eager to educate the team about best reliability practices
- Experience with highly available, high throughput REST APIs
About the role
You'll be a core developer to our Node backend platform, which powers our custom truck navigation product for carriers, fleet managers, and other supply chain users. You should have experience optimizing Postgres database performance, background Redis queues, container deployment systems, and scaling distributed systems horizontally.
- We use React Native, Next.js, and Redux on the front-end, and NodeJS, Express, Postgres, PostGIS, and Sequelize on the back-end.
- We use services like Algolia, OneSignal, Sentry, Amplitude, and Fastlane so we can focus on creating the best product experience for drivers.
- We're a small but growing company, and we want to maintain an encouraging and user-centric culture as we grow. We have a friendly atmosphere, a strong work ethic, and a desire to build useful products that make our customers' lives better.